Thursday, February 7, 2013

Maybe if I Post My Picture I Will Get Remembered? Oh Yeah...And Class Tuesday!

Meredith Rolen =

 


This Past Tuesday 02/05/13 in class we discussed the Letter "C" of L.O.C.I. That letter represents the word content. When engaging consumers/ targeted people in social media it is important that your content isn't use fluff. It should have a purpose. Studies have shown that when content is Relevant, Interesting, Unique and Useful, then it is likely to be more successful.

For the blog today I found a website which features the top 10 best social media campaigns of the year 2012. Amongst the top ten there was one campaign that stood out to me as interesting/a little bit peculiar. The ad was a youtube music video released by the Melbourne Department of Transportation titled "Dumb Ways to Die"(please not that though the video is a playful cartoon, it is slightly disturbing). Though the add is comical and slightly disturbing the purpose is an admiral one, to make people more aware of ways of interacting with transportation that can end your life. The video has had over 39,360,765 views.

'I'm pretty sure that this campaign was successful as it is on the top 10 list for this past year, but I will give it a go at comparing it to what we learned on Tuesday. Is the content Relevant, Interesting, Unique and Useful? 

Relevant-  Well, the campaign is marketed toward people that are in danger of being hurt with regards to transportation, and the last verse of the song is as follows. 

"Stand on the edge of a train station platform 
Drive around the boom gates at a level crossing 
Run across the tracks between the platforms 
They may not rhyme but they’re quite possibly 

Dumbest ways to die 
Dumbest ways to die 
Dumbest ways to die 
So many dumb 
So many dumb ways to die "

I guess that does cover what they were talking about.

Interesting- Well, it is definitely interesting. If you watched it than you know that the cartoon is one of those things that you can't look away from. And the lyrics, though Juvenile are highly intriguing. 

Unique- I would say it is very unique. You never see ads like this at all, especially ads from a government agency.

Useful- Similar to the example of the Denny's campaign, I am not sure how useful it is. I searched the internet trying to find if the campaign did have it's intended effects (preventing train related deaths). I couldn't find information I was looking for. But I will assume that it must have helped because it is praised all over the internet as a genius campaign. Even if it save one life, I would say it was useful. Especially since unlike Denny's attempt to connect with a different crowd, this PSA was meant to save lives.

Thanks Again, Meredith Rolen

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that I am not the only one that feels "out of the loop" when it comes to some of the campaigns on certain social media sites. I also searched social media campaigns and found that same exact website. I thought that was a cute little campaign "Dumbest ways to Die". I agree that it was interesting, and unique. I wasn't aware that it was made by a government agency.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! An agency in Australia! It was also interesting to me how much time they put in to the editing, writing and composing! All for such a silly song! Although, it did have a good message!

    ReplyDelete