Sunday, February 17, 2013

AWKWARD HUG TIME!!!!!


In class last Thursday, the positively marvelous Professor Abel taught us that it is important for social media sites to have a clear, relevant, interesting tone. Social media outlets that can engage their customers through tone are often times the most successful.

What do I mean by TONE? I mean the voice...




No! Not those voices!

I mean social media outlets should replace jargon, they shouldn’t seem like they are speaking above your level of understanding, however, they also shouldn’t dumb anything down for you. They also shouldn’t be too formal, social media should talk to you like they would a distant relative. Not too formal, but also not too informal, a happy medium.

A good metaphor for TONE in social media is the infamous:


Not to formal…..


Not to informal……


Just Right!!!!


You should speak like your audience speaks and think like your audience thinks. What do you think about the tone of my blog? I think I do a fairly good job at this, considering we are all in the same general age range. However, I do try to add a bit of comedic interest. Although, I am sure I am not as funny as I think I am! (Feel free to disagree with that one!)

While wandering the internet I found a great article that talk about  How 5 Top Brands Crafted Their Social Media Voices. The article showcased 5 different brands including Tory Burch and Kate Spade, but the one that was the most interesting to me was the DKNY website. The tone of the website is fashion girl-centric. Even though the genius behind the tone is an executive at Donna Karen global, she speaks with a young, enthusiastic voice, much like the beloved Gossip Girl from the hit series of the same name. Like Gossip Girl, DKNY PR Girl is charming, witty and fashion savvy. A voice that perfectly suits the DKNY demographic. You can view examples at her Tumblr Page.

Thanks Again for viewing my page!
- Meredith Rolen

No comments:

Post a Comment