Wednesday, February 20, 2013

KEEP CALM & GO WITH THE FLOW

HELLO! It's me, Meredith again! On Tuesday in class we talked about the control (or lack there of) when it comes to social media. Overall the general consensus with dealing with these crisis seemed to be comprised of three steps.

Step 1:



Step 2:



Step 3:


Are you catching my drift? Essentially, you can not control the media, at least not without violating the rights of your users (and trust me, they will not like that). The most that you can do is go with the flow. Just like Walmart with the Pitbull concert, or even like the Burger King situation recently. You can't reverse anything and you can't stop it, so you may as well make the most of it! If you want an update on the Burger and Jeep hacking situation, I think you will be happy to know that not only did they both come out on top, but there is another social media class this semester at another school blogging too!

I also found a great website titled Controlling the Uncontrollable where several social media experts discuss the various fraudulent issues that can occur online and their various ways to manage the social media content after a crisis has happened.You should check it out!

Thanks again for visiting my site! - Meredith Rolen

6 comments:

  1. First, I love this blog. It is so creative; I never use pictures in my blog, just links. I may “jock your style” of blog. I also thought that it was clever because each picture said the same thing. Anyway, your point about the various ways to manage the social media content after a crisis has happened seems to be something that is constant in this day and age.

    When I arrived home after class on Tuesday, I was watching the news and they mentioned that Apple had been hacked as well. There is a great article by the Huffington post that explains how no company is safe from hackers and how most of time, they don’t make that information public. This was especially interesting because we had just talked about the Burger King and Jeep hacking during class. On another note, I wonder how the carnival cruise ship company will fair after the crisis they just had. People have already taken their grievances to social media. I bet their PR team is working overtime to manage the social media content, because people are angry. This would have been a good case to study in my Crisis Communication class.

    I couldn't hyperlink it in my comment. So, here's the link with for the Huffington Post article in case you wanted to read it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/19/apple-hack-malware-attack_n_2719643.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JOCK AWAY!!! Thank you for visit my blog. Yeah, I thought it was pretty important to get that point across. We must go with the flow! I didn't realize Apple had been hacked too? Was it like a flash mob for hackers? Or was it the same hackers getting into every twitter account! Weird. No one is safe! What is the carnival cruise deal you speak of? I have not heard of it.

      Delete
  2. Your blog is so fun! You have cool pictures that tell what we talked about!! Honestly, I thought that the Burger King hack was pretty funny. Burger King did a really good job of going with the flow. Things are going to happen in life especially in the social media aspect people and companies can not get bent out of shape over things that are out of their control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, if Burger King or other companies got bent out of shape every time something like this happened the world would be chaos. In my post after this I mention HMV, they got all bent of of shape because after they fired a whole group of people, they all twittered about it and the company got bent of of shape. They basically were a what no to do for social media, they weren't honest, they lost control, they didn't go with the flow and they weren't prepared to deal with anything. Awful! Just awful!

      Delete
  3. What a great blog post! I liked that you used photos to illustrate your idea. I would agree with you about how company's have to go with the flow. There is no way you can control all social media, so sometimes company's just have to roll with the punches. I wrote about McDonald's, and a campaign that did that backfired on them. They wanted their customers to write about how great their experience at McDonald's was; but people were posting about bad and gross things that they had experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I fall asleep if I don't have pictures to keep me entertained! Ha Ha! Yeah, It is almost shocking that so many companies have bloated ideas of how great their product is.....like Marie Calendars with the pasta, or what you mentioned, Mcdonald's and their food. I can't believe that these companies are shocked when they get bad reviews. Dear Companies, Come down off your high horse!!! Ha Ha!

    ReplyDelete